I went ahead and reached out to all of the gang: Blanche, J, Doug, Bret, Cathy, Leslie, Kevin, Mark, Kellie, Karl and Meg to see what was new in their lives! I’m asking them all the same 4 questions…
- What was your experience like on Design Star? Was it what you expected it to be?
- On the show, do you think that you were portrayed like what/who you really are?
- Since the show, what have you been up to? Was the show a help or hindrance with life afterwards?
- Finally looking ahead, is there a trend you see on the rise that everyone should be looking out for? Or a super helpful tip or DIY trick everyone should be aware of?
To kick off the Q&A with my Season 6 buddies is the always animated Kevin Grace! He was such a hoot in the loft, uplifting all of our spirits with his own brand of funny! He provided much needed comic relief at the end of those ridiculously long days on set!
My experience on Design Star was more than I could have imagined…… Both Good and Bad.I knew that I would be judged and critiqued on a hourly bases both by the Judges and by the other designers. Notice I didn’t say “Fellow Designers” because I knew I would not be seen as a threat based on my lack of experience. Episode 2 came real quick for them. Just saying.However, with that said, I also never expected to make such great friends on this journey, and I am so grateful to say that some of them still remain dear to my heart.No one could ever really say they know what their getting into on a Reality show until your there.Expectations-Yes Reality-NoOne of the things that was most important to me when agreeing to join the cast, was that I remain true to who I am, and then they wouldn’t have anything crazy to edit around me. I am so happy to say that “Yes” I am that same crazy energetic guy you see on the show. No apologies at all.Since the show, my life has change in so many great ways!!!
1. I started my own Design company (kevin grace design LLC) in Chicago2. I have a TV segment on a Chicago based Morning Show called “Kevin Grace, Save My Space”3. I have been invited to work with a number of great organizations throughout Chicago, raising moneyfor such great causes as MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, THE ARTS FOUNDATION andSTAND UP TO CANCER
Trends are so fickle, you really can’t rely on them to hang on for to long, so I always try to explain to my clients, that if your going for the latest “Thing”, lets try to make it as removable as possible in case it dies fast.ie: paint/pillows/rug-all easily removable if the trend moves on, then you can too.
Hope everyone enjoys Season 8 this summer. We all know it will never get as good as it was in season 6!!!
Way to go Kev! We love you and hope to see lots more of you!
To reach out and contact Kevin, here ya go! Kevin Grace Design
Check back soon to see what else is going on with my Design Star family!