One of my favorite variations of this recipe is the Pistachio pound cake version where a cup of the flour is more or less swapped out for Pistachio Pudding, and come on, who doesn’t love that?!
So I posted this pic of the finished cake last night and there were a couple requests for the recipe, so here ya go!
Adrian’s Pound Cake
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 whole eggs plus 2 additional egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- ½ cup Crisco (butter flavor is great)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup of sugar in the raw (reserved for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Cream together the butter, Crisco and white sugar
- Add vanilla
- Incorporate eggs/yolks slowly
- Add milk
- Gradually add flour and salt until well mixed, careful not to overwork and add too much air into the batter
- Pour into greased and floured Bundt or tube pan. Gentle tap the pan to release any air pockets trapped in the batter.
- Sprinkle the sugar in the raw over the top before popping in the oven
- Bake at 350F degrees in the center of the oven for approximately 1hr and 25min, or toothpick comes out clean when inserted to cake
- Let cool completely before inverting and removing from pan
- Substitute 2 packages of instant pistachio pudding mix for 1 cup flour
- Substitute up to 1 cup of the white sugar for light brown sugar
- Add ½ can of lemon poppy filling
- Substitute 1 ½ cups sour cream for milk
- Add ½-1 cup of your favorite nuts
Perfect for the Holiday gathers, or really anytime of the year! Enjoy! Let me know the variations you come up with!